Sunday, April 3, 2016

Week 14 - In Which We Become Cattle Barons!

 I used to think that rain was an annoying weather condition.  It made the road slick.  It made my clothes damp - or downright wet - and that made me uncomfortable.  Puddles made mud and that was tracked into the house and made a mess.  That was before.  Before I moved here to Missouri and began living in the country and saw what the lack of rain did.  Before I depended on my well for the water we drink and wash our clothes with and clean our floors and bathe in. So, now, I get excited when I hear there will be rain in our future.  I love seeing the clouds gather in the sky and become grey and heavy with moisture. Moisture that will make the grass grow to become feed for cattle and grow vegetables and increase our water table.  
 These pictures show what I saw when I drove home from work on Wednesday....gathering clouds with masses of water inside...and we got 1.75 inches of rain overnight!  Can I hear a Yeah!!!

I think we can now take on the title of Cattle Barons!  On Friday, we took delivery of 2 more calves..one heifer and one steer.  The little steer is the solid black one and the heifer is the black with white face on the right.  They were born on October 13th and October 1st respectively.   Admittedly, they belong to our son and daughter-in-law but they will live on our property and so I'm claiming the Baron status for ourselves!  The male will ultimately become freezer fodder and the female will be bred for ongoing food production!  We don't have names for them yet...our grandchildren and their parents get that honor....will let you know the names once we have the Naming Ceremony (that consists of the Utah family telling us the names and me writing it down in the Cow Journal that I keep).  
 Here is the entire Herd in the south field.  That's Garnet, new steer, Aggie, new heifer, and Rosie.
 The cutest picture came across my Facebook page the other day.  It represents perfectly how I feel about the current choice of presidential candidates. 


Given the choice, I wonder which I would pick?  How about you?

Did you know, when we use the word try, we are giving ourselves permission to fail?  

Yoda said it best:

 Always say you will do it, not try to do it.  Your brain will know that you intend NOT to fail.  And success is within your grasp.

I leave you today with the following word play picture. Can you figure it out?

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: