Friday, May 28, 2010

We Became Chicken Farmers!

Recently, John decided that he wanted to raise chickens - for meat, of course - so we got 25 day-old chicks about 3 weeks ago. One has died but the rest seem to be thriving. He is keeping them in the barn for the time being .For now, they have their own section of the barn, complete with heat lamp and food and water.

The next two pictures were taken last week, when they were 2 weeks old. They are getting more feathers and soon will be able to be put outside into John's brand new chicken tractor. He hasn't quite finished building it but hopes to have it done this weekend. Once they go into the chicken tractor, (I promise I'll post pictures for those of you who don't know what a chicken tractor looks like! Promise!) they have about another 4-5 weeks until they are then turned into food!


Then John and our neighbor will do what they have to do and use the neighbor's Whiz-Bang Chicken Plucker and we will have chickens in the freezer - about 8 pounds each and all organic! My John plans to sell some of them - we can get $15.00 per chicken! Really! Pure, healthy, non-additive chicken!
We got 4 day-old turkeys earlier this week...I don't have pictures yet but will post them as soon as I can.
In closing, I just want to wish everyone a safe holiday weekend. And to those who have served and are still serving in our military, at home and overseas, I wish to say a heartfelt, THANK YOU!
God Bless you all.
Thanks for stopping by.




3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sounds like a good deal! Are chicks much trouble to rear? You're right, the market for organic food is becoming larger every day.

cinnamongirl93 said...

We have raised may chicks. It's so fun! The olny downfall.......the smell! lol!

Batiklover said...

Oh, they are soo darned cute!!! I can't wait to see what a chicken tractor is, but I don't want to see the wiz-bang chicken plucker - can't even think about it....
I know, I know, it is a natural thing. They are just soo cute!!!!!
Hee hee

What's next???