Wednesday, January 30, 2019

Week 4 - More Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

This week is even more of the cold stuff.  Today the temps started just above 0 and with the wind chill, well, let's say the temps haven't gone up much.  It is currently 9 degrees at almost noon...We had a dusting of snow overnight and all things considered, the schools decided to call a Snow Day.  The policy at the library is thus - if schools are closed, we are closed.  Hence, I have the day off.  I can't say I'm not glad.  I'm beginning to think I don't like working anymore.  There's plenty of things to do here at home - fun things, things I really want to do.  Work is a four letter word - need I say more?

John and our neighbor took the 2 boy cows over to the neighbor's property on Sunday...it is past time for them to be weaned.  Sometimes a mother cow will self-wean but our two moms are true nurturers!  Once they got the boys into the trailer and pulled out of the field, John shut and locked the gate and they began to drive off.  Our Rosie went kinda crazy!  She began bellerin' and running in circles, and generally acting like a mom who'd had her child taken out of her arms at gunpoint.  She calmed down after about 20 minutes and I went back to whatever I was doing when I heard the ruckus.

On Monday morning, Mom came in and said she thought John had taken the boys over to John P's place on Sunday.  I said, yes, he did.  She said, well, I've counted the number of cows at the hay ring and it seems we have a total of 4 over there.  Hmmm, says I, there should only be 2.  Yep, there are 4 cows over there.  Okay, I missed something, evidently.  

I went to work and since John P. is not only my neighbor and my John's best 
friend, he's also my office partner at the library.  I told him about finding 4 cows in the field when I expected to see only2.  He said, yes, he got a call about 2 hours earlier from another neighbor of ours and it seems the 2 boys found a break in the fence (or made one themselves) and came home to their mamas.  He came over right away and enticed them into the field with a bucket 'o feed - cows will follow a feed bucket really easy, at least our cows will.  So now we have 4 cows again- 2 of which still haven't been weaned - and this weekend it's fence-mending at Mr. P's place for my John.  


Thanks for stopping by.


No comments: