Sunday, November 26, 2017

Week 48 - Thanksgiving

I know, it's already over but I wanted to wish you all a Happy Thanksgiving from our house to yours.

We had a total of 10 folks celebrate the holiday this year.  Besides Mom, John and Me, there were Ryan and Terri and their girls, Erica and Shaylee, and Theresa and Jack and Mary.  John spatchcocked a 13 pound turkey. The only problem being that this was the largest turkey we could do the spatchcock procedure in the Big Green Egg and, sadly, there were no leftovers.  Oh, well, there were bones and bits that John will make the most incredible turkey noodle soup with, but no turkey sandwiches in my immediate future.  Sigh!

Moist, tender, and cooked to perfection in just about 2 hours!

We also had a ham (home-grown), dressing, candied sweet potatoes, butternut squash, green beans with onions, bacon, and slivered almonds, cranberry relish, spinach tortellini salad and assorted olives and pickles.  For dessert there was pumpkin pie, mince pie, and pecan pie - all with mounds of cool whip.  To say we were stuffed is an immense understatement.  



I love it when John's family comes for Thanksgiving.  We only see them once a year, in spite of living fairly close.  So getting together with them is really special.  

We both had a good number of days off work for the holiday.  John pulled down the Christmas boxes from Christmas attic yesterday and assembled the pencil tree (I wanted the slimmer tree this year).  I have any number of other boxes to unpack but I'm not in the mood yet.  It will have to be done before next Monday, the 4th.  I have my old Bunco group coming for a Reunion Game Night and want the house to be decorated for the holiday...I work better with a deadline!  

While pulling items from the pantry to make the dressing for our feast, I reached in to get the chicken broth and accidentally knocked over a jar of artichoke hearts...the small jar fell directly onto my foot and made me say bad words!  For a while I thought that middle toe might be broken but thankfully, it's only bruised. Yes, purple IS one of my two favorite colors but not on my toes, thank you very much.

My buddy, Gilligan, says to wish you a happy week.  He's contented and looking for a quiet place to nap.

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: