Sunday, February 22, 2015

Scraping Snow

The ice storm we had on Friday nite put a small layer on top of the nearly 9 inches of snow we had earlier in the week.  My office partner/neighbor kindly picked me up and brought me home on Thursday and Friday - crushing the snow with his wheels on the apron to the garage.  Normally that wouldn't be a problem, but the ice on top of the crushed snow just made it more of an ice cube!  I watched several people try to go out to the mailboxes yesterday - slippin' and slidin' all over the road.  Now, that may be because they were young and thought it would be fun to do wheelies in the ice.  I don't know about that, but I'm not going to try to drive to work tomorrow till I know what the road looks like...and I'm not going to drive the road to find out what it looks like and then get stuck somewhere.  So I'm going to take my wonderful neighbor up on his offer for a ride into work again tomorrow.

I figured the ice on the apron will make it difficult for him to get traction to get to me and then to back up to drive out...so this morning I bundled up and wore Mr. Wonderful's chicken/pig boots and tried to shovel the apron to get some clear spots for him.  Here you see what I was able to get done.
There on the left is the double garage door...I got about 4-5 feet scraped.  The rest is a solid sheet of ice - you can see the tire marks from Friday..there's no scraping that yet.

Then I decided that maybe I should try to do the front walk cause if he can't get near enough on the apron side, he can drive straight on the drive and pick me up at the end of the walk...so I trudged thru the house and cleared that.  There was no traffic on it since before the snow so it came off relatively easy - well, easy for some.  I'm so stinkin' out of shape that I need a nap now that that's done.
We've got a bit of sun till nearly 2 o'clock today so maybe some more melting will be accomplished, in spite of the temps getting only near 22 degrees.  Then we are to expect a bit of snow from 3:00 till about 7:00...and, of course, falling temps.  I'm really done with winter!

I spent the day sewing yesterday.  Made a little table runner using a new mini tumbler template.  It's not quilted yet but I think I might use my embroidery machine to embroider swirls or something in those long white strips between the coloured stripes.  


Well, I've got a few more chores to do (including getting the tax stuff ready to mail off to the accountant tomorrow) and then I'm rewarding myself with knitting, or maybe some more sewing...or both.

Thanks for stopping by.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

All that shovelling must be hard work! I think I would just be happy to be snowbound......that's a very pretty runner, some embroidery would finish it off beautifully.