Sunday, September 30, 2018

Week 40 - Hot Poppy in the House!

So, for the last 5 weeks, I've been driving a rental car. You might recall that faulty Takata Air Bags resulted in over 13 MILLION cars being recalled.  Well, my 2008 Ford Edge was one of those recalled.  We have known about the possibility of the passenger front airbag deploying and possibly killing the passenger since July of 2016.  Yep, you read that right.  Takata filed for bankruptcy and Ford has been trying to come up with a replacement air bag since then.  We would periodically get a letter from Ford telling us that they were working on it, but that didn't take away the fear that the airbag would deploy and kill my mother - she's the one who mostly sits in that seat.  

Well, this past June we got a letter from Ford. They said they are still working to get airbags for all the recalled cars.  They made the following offer to   everyone who owned a recalled vehicle and hadn't gotten the airbag replaced yet.  Ford would pay the cost of a rental vehicle comparable to my own until they had an airbag to replace my possibly faulty one.  Yes, possibly faulty. It seems they had no idea which airbags would end up being faulty and which ones were perfectly fine.  They need to replace every single front passenger airbag in every single 2008 Edge they made.  Plus other vehicles but I don't recall all the years and models...and that's just Fords....they are other makes, models and years that are part of this massive recall.  

We talked to our service guy at the Ford dealership and he strongly advised us to take the offer.  So we told them to hook us up with a rental car.  5 weeks ago, I parked my own Hot Poppy and started driving a 2018 Toyota 4Runner...a backup camera (I love it!) and it sits higher so I can see around a lot more vehicles on the road.  Mom is so short that she has a bit of trouble getting up into the passenger seat but the running boards and a handhold help.  I was told that Ford is willing to pay for the rental car as long as it takes - one month to as long as a year or more!  Well, it's been just 5 weeks and I got a call from the dealer that they have a replacement airbag for my car and I took it in on Thursday nite...they brought her back to me at work on Friday morning.....Hot Poppy is home!  And she's no longer a threat to my mom's safety!  I will take the 4Runner back to the rental place tomorrow after work.  Yeah!


In other news, I've finished another pair of vanilla socks...this time using  a self-striping yarn from A Whimsical Wood Yarn Co., Pixie Toes Sock, in the colorway "Scary Ass".  I love using the Ass yarns....they just make me smile to say them!  Here is Scary Ass.

The colors are eye-searing neon yellow, orange, a tiny bit of pinkish-purple, and black.  A treat to knit...the yarn is yummy soft!  

I'm now in the very beginning of a sock pattern that I've wanted to knit for a long time - Fiesta Feet.  I'm using another of the Whimsical Wood Yarn Co. yarns...this time the color way is "F**k Cancer"...I didn't type the entire name to protect some of my more genteel readers.  I've wanted to use this yarn for a couple of years and this pattern just screams for it!   Will see how it goes....progress report soon.

Well, laundry is calling......thanks for stopping by. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

They can put a man on the moon, but managing an airbag recall seems to be something else......love those socks!