Sunday, July 8, 2018

Week 28 - It's been a Fair Week!

This past week was our annual Webster County Fair.  I usually enter something in the fair each year, be it knitted or quilted.  For the past few years, it's been socks - mostly socks that I've knit in accordance with Sock Madness (two birds with one set of knitting needles!).  This year was no different.  I entered the brioche socks I knitted for Round 2, Checkbox Socks.  I made them fraternal - that means since they were 2 colors, I made one with the green dominant and one with the teal dominant.  Evidently the judges liked them cause - well look!
Yep, that's a first place ribbon there.  And what you don't see is my big honkin' check for $3.00 as my winning prize!  Not sure where I'll be spending it but no matter how much the check is, it's still special!

Mom and I went into town with John early this morning. We all had breakfast at a lovely little restaurant John found a few years ago called Cedars.  It's just basic food, nothing special, but we sure do like it.  The staff is wonderful - and there are plenty of them!  So one doesn't wait forever to either place our order or receive it.  

Then we all went to Sam's and Lowe's with John so he could do some shopping for hardware and plumbing stuff to do chicken butchering next weekend.  Mom and I sat in the truck - at Lowe's it was almost an hour.  No worries, we took knitting with us and with the windows open and the beautiful breeze, we had a lovely time.  

While waiting for John, I talked with my friend Carole from Rhode Island.  She spends each summer at her cottage on Little Diamond Island in Maine and that's where I caught her.  She's one of my all time favorite quilting idols. I love that lady - she smart, and creative, and bawdy.  I want to be just like her when I'm almost 81 years old. Not that I'd ever be able to be bawdy - I think one must develop that during one's early years and I"m far too old to create a bawdy self.  But I can dream. And I always feel so special when I'm around her. The only thing about talking with her today is that I now miss Little Diamond Island even more...sure could use some island time. Sigh.

Thanks for stopping by. Until next time.


No comments: