Sunday, February 24, 2013

The End of February

This week brought us more wicked weather.  On Wednesday nite, a storm began that mostly crippled the area for 24 hours.  Rain, freezing rain, sleet, ice and snow all came down onto trees and, more importantly, the roads.  Our Director called early Thursday morning and told everyone to stay home.  Even John stayed home.  By Friday morning, the plows had come thru enough to allow John to drive me into work on his own way to work.  And then our wonderful neighbor, and my office partner, dropped me off on his way home.  I'm such a weeny when it comes to weathery roads.  If it's cold and wet, I won't drive on it! That's just the way it is!

Remember how I said that 2013 is the Year of the Finish?  Well, the icy roads allowed me to finish another project that had been languishing in the studio.  These socks were a surprise gift from a designer friend in New York.  She named them Sally and there's a lovely story connected to it.  I won't tell you now because she hasn't published the pattern yet...once it's available for purchase, I can tell you the story.  Remind me if I forget!  My friend sent this pattern to me to test without telling me what it was.  When I got it in my email, and read the caption, I cried - this pattern was all about me! Now, you would think I'd be all about getting this one knit and photographed and sent back to her....It's been two years since she sent this to me and I am finally finishing it.  I'm sending the photos and the pattern corrections back today and she might have it ready soon. I chose a beautiful yarn dyed by another friend in Ireland - she calls it Wicked Witch of the West.  Aren't they pretty socks?  


I'm also knitting a shawl for myself..one that isn't a testknit....one that's just for me!  It's called Color Affection and below are the three colours I've chosen.  It's about 75% complete and I hope to finish it be the end of next week.  At least that's the goal.  You see, Sock Madness 7 starts sometime after March 1st and I need to have everything done by the time it starts....



Speaking of Sock Madness....they are scaring us even more than usual.  This year the supply list includes tiny 1/4" buttons (14 of them) and zippers!  ZIPPERS????? OMG, I am so screwed!  There is absolutely no way I'm going very far in this year's competition if the zipper socks are near the beginning...buttons I can do...easy, peasy...but zippers?  I'll get back to you on that one.

Well, I'm off to watch a movie and knit some more on my Color Affection shawl....Thanks for stopping by. 

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I don't blame you for not wanting to drive in bad weather! Better to be safe. Oh my, aren't those green socks just the most wonderful colour.