Wednesday, May 20, 2020

Even More Social Distancing

With everyone still social distancing, the days seem to meld into one another and there just isn't anything to separate them.  We get up, we eat, we watch TV, we eat, we watch some more TV, and then go to bed.  When we awake, we do it all over again.  I throw in some knitting and sewing and machine embroidery...mom throws in some reading and some online solitaire.  Mr. Wonderful is still working - he IS essential personnel! But there isn't anything to make each day special.  Probably, that's my own fault.  Whatever!  I am just getting tired of not being able to jump in the car and go to the yarn shop or Hobby Lobby or even the library.  I'm really DONE!  

Okay, rant over....breathe.....I'm almost over it.  

John and I had been talking about the idea of getting a new car.  Since he has a company vehicle and doesn't need his own anymore, we decided we would trade in his car and my car and get a new one for me. If he needed to go somewhere, he can always use the truck.  We mostly use the truck for farm hauling - feed store, lumber hauling, that kind of thing.  But it's perfectly beautiful and doesn't look like a 2005 vehicle. We both agreed that I wanted another Ford Edge...the 2008 Edge was such a great car.  It wasn't showing any signs of needing to be replaced...but we knew that we wanted to do it BEFORE we needed to do it.  Car prices continue to go up...John is still working so his income would be nice on a loan application...we decided that NOW is the time.  We found exactly the car I wanted - 2020 Ford Edge Titanium in Starry White....so many excellent features that I wanted (backup camera, bluetooth phone, foot-activated rear liftgate) and even more that I didn't know I wanted till I got them.  Took us about an hour to decide we wanted the car.  Went home, John made arrangements for the loan, That was Friday the 8th of May.  We got the check on Tuesday the 12th and picked up the car on Friday the 15th. I just can not get over how fast it happened and what a lovely vehicle it is.  

I have not only the backup camera, foot-activated rear liftgage, bluetooth phone, and water sensing front window wipers.  I also have blindspot alarm, remote starting, electric seats for both driver and passenger, seat position memory settings for 3 different drivers, and driver lane alarm and correction.  I'm sure there is probably a door with warm chocolate chip cookies and another with cold milk somewhere in there but I just haven't found it.  Here is a picture I snapped of my new car, which I've named Sparkle!
I'm sure I won't be over the initial love affair anytime soon...you will hear more about her.

Today is our youngest grandson's birthday.  He is 10 years old today.  He is smart, funny, loves Legos and sciencey stuff.  He never hesitates to tell folks how important they are to him (like his grandparents!!!) and has a wicked sense of humor and the quickest wit that I've seen in a very long time.  Deadpan and hyterically funny.  What's more, he is kind and compassionate and an all-around really nice person.  We love you, Big H.....happy birthday from Nana and Papa. 

Missouri is slowly opening up after nearly 8 weeks being closed.  Not everything is open but things are starting to open up.  Hair salons and nail salons, restaurants, bowling alleys, but not bars, concert halls, music venues, or movie theaters.  We took mom out to dinner the first night our one and only restaurant opened to the public.  All of the servers wore masks and gloves.  Only half of the tables were available to the customers.  But I was still uncomfortable having mom out in public.  I've taken her out a couple more times but each time I've just not been totally at ease.  I don't mind taking her with me if I need to go to the store - she sits in the car and reads a book while I'm getting what I need...at least she has a change of scenery and some fresh air.  Until things settle down a bit more, the picture below is still my mantra:
My favorite yarns shop recently posted some new items they'd put in stock...I could NOT resist these awesome stitch markers.

Bottom middle is my favorite! 

Hoping anyone reading this is safe and well and healthy.  It's becoming a dreaded cliche, but we ARE all in this together and we will ALL get thru it together.  There will be no new normal, nor a before normal...we can all decide what normal is for each of us.  

Thanks for stopping by....See you soon!

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Sally, that will be great......having your own car means that you can drive around the world if you want to!

Debbie said...

So fun to get a new car! Hope you find the stash of warm chocolate chip cookies! Love those knitting markers. We are almost back to normal...but no quilter gatherings yet...really miss those.