Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Week 19 & 20 - Spring keeps progressing

We are definitely into spring here in the Ozarks.  The trees are all leafed out and the flowers are blooming like crazy.  The temperatures are climbing and the humidity count is following suit.  It's taken some of the joy out of taking Kai for her daily 2 walks around the circle drive. At least for this human who does NOT care for humidity. 

We took Kai for her monthly checkup with the vet last week.  Evidently, on top of a thyroid condition, incontinence, weight issues, an eye ulcer, and chronic dry eye in both eyes she also has a horribly ear infection.  Poor thing.  Now, in addition to having her eyes cleaned out twice a day, we also have to rinse her ear out and put drops in - also twice a day.  The good news is she has lost 4.5 pounds since she's been with us and now only needs to lose another 15 pounds to put her at the top end of what Golden Retrievers should weigh.  She seems to be happy and loves going on our walks.  Until today, she was a bit loopy when walking - ear infections also affect one's balance if one is a dog I guess.  But she is slowly getting over that with the help of the daily rinsing and drops and an oral medicine.  

We've had some horrible weather the last week or so.  Right where we are, it's not been so bad.  But on both the west and east sides of us there have been tornadic activity and loss of  property.  We've had the wind and the rain but nothing worse.  Mom and I were coming home from town last week when the sirens went off...I tuned in the radio and found that the tornado had touched down about 4 miles west of town and was headed northeast.  That meant it would miss us.  I got a call from one of John's sisters asking if we were ok...told her yes, the tornado touched down west of us and then bounced right over us to hit on the east side of our area.  We've been incredibly fortunate this season.  Lots and lots of tornadoes but no particular damage where we are.  I thought I'd share one of the items I keep seeing on FaceBook regarding tornadoes:

We were told today during a newscast that there have been over 500 tornadoes in the last 30 days across the US.  Tonight we are expecting more 'severe' weather - wind, rain, and maybe a tornado or two.  We're pretty safe where we are but there's never a guarantee.  I guess I'll plan on some mindless knitting while the winds rage! 

I've been working on Row by Row kits from previous years.  Here are the three rows I working on this past weekend - all from 2015.  The theme was water that year.  
I have several other rows with fishes on them from that year already done.  It only takes 8 or 10 to make a twin sized quilt.  I probably have that many - some done and some not done.  I think the next ones I'm going to work on is my Beatles collection of blocks from last year - the theme was Music.  

This year's theme for Row by Row is Food (really it's Taste of Home).  I have seen some preliminary rows from all over the US and I think I may concentrate on Ice Cream rows....or maybe Meat.....or fruits and veggies....I'll figure it out soon enough.

I'm feeling the urge to sew. So I'd better finish this and get the machine fired up!  

Thanks for stopping by.

No comments: