Tuesday, August 28, 2018

Week 35 Chickens and Cats

Well, it's been over a week since Briscoe crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  I am still listening for his drunken gait to tell me he needs to go outside....Mom said she heard his bark to wake her up this morning.  He was definitely a part of this household, in more ways than we thought.  

I had told John that his sister mentioned they had a lot of cats at the Humane Society available for adoption....I said jokingly that maybe Gilligan needed a friend since he'd never lived in the house without another animal.  John jumped on that and said, "Well, you remember, I lived in a house with 11 inside cats growing up."  No, I did not recall that....so on Sunday, Mom and I made a trip to the Southwest Humane Society adoption center and played with a few kittens.  I didn't want a full grown cat since Gilligan is full grown and I didn't want issues....I figured a kitten might be better.  And I always wanted a black cat - no clue why this is so, but it's true - so I kind of gravitated to the black ones, or the mostly black ones.  Came across a small black and white kitten, Saturn was his name.  He was sound asleep in his enclosure and meowed at me when I went to pick him up.  So sweet and very small.  He was 4 months old and had been made a gentleman already so no issues male superiority or spraying.  I was kinda enthralled by his 'tuxedo' markings.  He came home with us and there the adventure began.  I wasn't really enthused with the name 'Saturn' - it doesn't connect to him at all....we toyed with a couple of names like Socks, or Spats, or Patches, or even Buddy.  I post a picture on Facebook and one of our friends from California mentioned he could be The Skipper, the Professor, or Mr. Howell from Gilligan's Island, in keeping with the theme.  John jumped at The Skipper. So, I give you, The Skipper - I can't get a decent picture cause he is a super busy kitten right now...maybe once he settles in I can get a better one.



As i said....busy!  

More later, I'm sure.

On another note, mom and I were getting ready to set the table the other night and I heard a strange noise...it sounded as though there was someone or something along the side of the house, or near the back.  I couldn't tell if I heard talking or maybe muttering....finally I looked out the back window, near the staircase that goes down into the dog run...and saw this:


Yep, those are the newest chickens, led by the lone rooster!  It had rained and John had left the gate to the dog run open and the chickens run around on the property pretty much wherever they want...and they wanted to go up the stairs and find out what's up there.

We are getting a tiny bit of rain these days.  I came home from work the other day and it was sprinkling...a nice, gentle sprinkle that was enough to make me use my window wipers but not enough to leave puddle yet.  I looked over into the north field, saw the cows grazing, and then, to the right, I saw this! 
Yes, there were 4 deer lazing in the field under the trees, just getting sprinkled on and so content.  They must have stayed there for an hour...very unusual but I stopped trying to explain nature a long time ago.

Hey, thanks for stopping by.  More next time.

No comments: