Tuesday, July 20, 2021

Preparing for Winter - a bit Early

 Some folks might know that those of us who live in the country and have animals need to prepare for the winter well in advance of that season.  It's only July, but we are thinking of the coming winter and making sure we have enough food for the 4 cows we are raising.  Hence, the delivery of 15 rolls of hay this past weekend. 

The other 8 rolls are on the other side of the driveway. Then John needed to move them to the gravel alley where they are likely to NOT get moldy when sitting on the ground

Along with the 3 from last year and the 8 rolls we are buying from our neighbor, we will have plenty for the cows for the winter.  

I am participating in a program this summer called Cross Stitch Camp.  Each month, there are certain peramiters set forth for those of us who are taking part.  June was to stitch something that was inspired by someone or something.  I chose to do a counted cross stitch and beaded ornament kit from Mill Hill.  I'd seen several done by my friend Debbie Bailey in Alaska - her blog is one I have followed for many years.  One starts the project on the first of the month - inserting a picture of the chart, threads, and fabrics to prove you haven't started it yet.  Then you have all month to complete the project - posting a picture of the finished stitching by the end of the month.  I completed my camp project for June in justs 7 days!

Then, for July, we had to pick a project by a designer we had never stitched before.  Since I was just getting back into cross stitch after a 30+ year break, that wasn't hard to do.  I chose Stitchy Stars by Lori Holt.  Completed that project in about 2 weeks.  It will measure 16 inches by 2 inches when done. I have a wooden 'plank' that I want to stain and then mount the cross stitch to it so it can hang in the entryway.

Done!
Now to decide on August's project - using a new-to-me fabric or thread.  I think I'm going to use a 32 count linen and silk thread. The chart I want to use is a single-thread design - a sign that reads " Let's all be Kind".  

Mom recently went from a cane to a walker.  She was getting a bit frail and we thought, along with her doctor, that a walker was the next best thing for her.  I took her to a company that specializes in medical equipment and she test drove all their rollator walkers.  This is the one she chose.  Boy can she move now!  It's great for when she's out with me and gets tired from walking or standing...she can just sit down and wait for me!



Those of you who know me know that I have a morbid, debilitating fear of needles.  I have never gotten a flu shot.  I was not going to get the Covid-19 vaccination - no way, no how.  Mom decided to get it - I took her to get her vaccinations each time.  John had to get it for his work - we got him the Johnson & Johnson one since it only requires 1 shot.  I was fine not getting it since both of them were covered and we don't go a lot of places.  But the Delta variant is, for some reason, one that really bothers me.  I plucked up the courage, asked John to come with me and hold my hand (and not tease me for being such a baby), and we found a place near us who was doing the J&J vaccine.  Let's face it, it probably wasn't going to happen if I had to do it twice!  I got my vaccination last week and I didn't faint, or cry, or even hit the girl who gave it to me.  


I wouldn't do it again - the mental preparations are almost more than I can handle more than once in my lifetime - but it's done and I have the Vaccination Card to prove it! 

Our two grandsons are coming for a short, 4 day visit this weekend.  I haven't seen them in 3 years.  John and I are so darned excited about seeing them.  Hewston is 11 and William is 14.  We are planning on taking them to Silver Dollar City on Saturday and perhaps the movies on Friday or Sunday.  It will be a short visit but one that we will treasure for a long time.  

Thanks for stopping by. Be safe and have a great rest of the summer (or winter for my south-of-the-equator friends). 






2 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm not a fan of pointy medical things either, but I just grit my teeth and get on with it......it's soon done. Tell your mum I admire her flash new walker! Enjoy your grandsons' visit, we really miss seeing our familiies.

Debbie said...

Thanks for the shout out! I'm glad you had the option to get the one shot vaccine. One of my quilting friends has a walker that looks just like your mom's. It's great because the seat also serves as a place to "carry" things. I was rushing over to help her with a plate of food and I know she felt great being able to tell me she didn't need my help. You didn't show your completed Mill Hill ornament in your post...which one did you make? I really like Lori Holt's patterns but haven't bought one yet. I love Kim Jolly's idea to make the stars in Christmas colors at some point. Sounds like you are doing great on the summer camp stitching timeline.