Sunday, September 13, 2020

Mid-September Wanderings

 Here we are, the middle of September.  Still mostly staying home, wearing a mask when we DO leave home.  Dreaming of traveling to visit family and friends far away.  And always, always, having the spectre of the Plague following our every move.  Hopefully, once this year has run it's 366 day course, we can find some semblance of calm and whatever normal is going to be.  

They say we will have a vaccine to treat the virus at the earliest in November...maybe by the end of the year....or February 2021. I have never been what one would call an Anti-Vaxxer...but I also do not voluntarily get in line for an injection of any kind.  Mainly cause I'm so afraid of shots!  Yes, I'm a coward....a weenie.... a baby where shots are concerned.  I've never gotten a flu shot, and only got the shot for hepatitis several years ago because I was exposed....but I don't do shots!  So I won't be getting the Corona injection when they say it's available.  They aren't doing enough testing, in my opinion, and I am uncomfortable having my family and friends just blindly go out and get in line for it when it IS available.  But the only person I have control over is myself...and I'm not getting in that line!  

We have 20 new baby chickens as of Thursday.  We had ordered them back in June during the height of the pandemic.  Usually, you can just go out to the hatchery and pick up chicks...but during the pandemic, folks were buying chickens to raise for eggs and meat because...well, think toilet paper and you will understand why they were hoarding chickens and hamburger.  Anyway, our order came up right on time and Mom and I drove out to the hatchery to pick up John's new peepers.  

It's hard to get perspective from this picture but all 20 of them fit into a small bakery box to transport home.  There are 15 assorted females and 5 Black Australops...the black ones, once they get fully feathered, look as though they are covered in oil - their feathers are shiny and pitch black.  So beautiful.  We don't know if any of those are roosters...will have to wait till they get older to tell.  We are looking for egg-layers anyway so if they are all female, that's fine with us. 

The Presidential election is coming up again and there is so much hate and discontent in this country.  I am so disturbed by the vitriol and just plain nastiness that the American people seem to ascribe to these days.  The current trend is just so Un-American, to my way of thinking.  A friend from High School (we're coming up to our 50 Year Reunion next year!) posted this and it really struck home with me....I will post for anyone who needs it...

I am going to print this out and frame it...a very good reminder for me, and anyone else.  You're welcome!

Rather than leave this as is, and have folks maybe come away on a sad or somber note, here is something to make you smile.

And I have, unfortunately, made sure furniture is in place in exactly this manner several times...Oh, my aching pinky toe!  

On that note, I will leave you till next time.  Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

I have a flu shot every year......have done so for 20 years or more. Like you, though, I'm not at all sure about a 'new' vaccine which may or may not work!